Publications help archaeologists share their research. They can take many forms (e.g., peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, etc.). This page is dedicated to giving you a behind-the-scenes look at my publications.
The blog posts on this page range from informational to creative pieces. They aim to be accessible to various audiences (e.g., K-16 educators and students, undergraduates, researchers, etc.). I hope they help demystify aspects of archaeological research.
In addition, I hope these posts provide a springboard to engage with primary sources (i.e., the original publications). The links in the citation take you to the respective piece’s publisher. Please contact me if you are experiencing issues accessing the publications listed on this page for any reason,
Behind-the-Scenes of a Major Discovery
The posts in this section give you a behind-the-scenes look at the discovery and publications of important archaeological sites.
- M.J. Harrower, I.A. Dumitru, C. Perlingieri, S. Nathan, K. Zerue, J.L Lamont, A. Bausi, J.L. Swerida, J.L. Bongers, H.S. Woldekiros, L.A. Poolman, C.M. Pohl, S.A. Brandt, E.A. Peterson. 2019. Discovery and Excavations of an Aksumite Town, Beta Samati (Ethiopia). Antiquity. DOI: 10.15184/aqy.2019.84
- M.J. Harrower, H. David-Cuny, S. Nathan, I.A. Dumitru, and S. Al-Jabri. 2016. First Discovery of Ancient Softstone (Chlorite) Vessel Production in Arabia: Aqir al-Shamoos (Oman). Arabian Archaeology and Epigraphy. 27: 197-207. DOI: 10.1111/aae.12076
Explaining Key Concepts
The posts in this section explain critical concepts necessary in understanding certain parts of a given publication.
- A.J. Sivitskis, M.J. Harrower, H. David-Cuny, I.A. Dumitru, S. Nathan, F. Wiig, D.R. Viete, K.W. Lewis, A.K. Taylor, E.N. Dollarhide, B. Zaitchik, S. Al-Jabri, K.J.T. Livi, A. Braun. 2018. Hyperspectral Satellite Imagery Detection of Ancient Raw Material Sources: Soft-stone Vessel Production at Aqir al-Shamoos (Oman). Archaeological Prospection. 25, 4: 363-374. DOI: 10.1002/arp.1719
- F. Wiig, M. Harrower, A. Braun, S. Nathan, J. Lehner, K. Simon, J. Sturm, J. Trinder, S. Hensley, T. Clark, I. Dumitru. 2018. Mapping a Subsurface Water Channel with X-band and C-band Synthetic Aperture Radar at the Iron Age Archaeological site of ‘Update al-Bakrah (Safah), Oman. Geosciences. 8,9. DOI: 10.3390/geosciences8090334
Video + Photo Essays
Videos and photographs are powerful communication mediums. These posts offer creative media pieces inspired by certain publications.
- Nathan, S. and Harrower, M.J. 2023. Mapping spatial patterning of Bronze Age towers in Oman according to water flow accumulation. Arabian Archaeology and Epigraphy. 1-10. DOI: 10.1111/aae.12237
- Harrower, M.J. and Nathan, S. 2018. Ancient Water Management in Southern Arabia: Creativity, Resilience, and Sustainability in Yemen and Oman. In Water and Society from Ancient Times to the Present: Resilience, Decline, and Revival, edited by Federica Sulas and Innocent Pikirayi, 201–18. Abingdon, UK: Taylor & Francis/Routledge.
- Nathan, S. 2018. Midnight at the Oasis: Past and Present Agricultural Activities in Oman. In The Archaeology of the Night: Life After Dark in the Ancient World, edited by Nancy Gonlin and April Nowell, 333–52. Boulder: University Press of Colorado. DOI: 10.5876/9781607326786.c016
Here are a few additional resources:
- If you’re a K-12 educator and you’re interested in offering students an archaeologist’s perspective on a variety of themes, check out my post #archaeology31 2020 Photo Challenge Summary
- If you’re a student and you’re working through a project that requires analyzing primary (or any other) sources, check out my post Tips for Organizing Sources for Research Papers
- If you’re a graduate student and you’re developing your writing habits, check out my page Dissertation Advice
- If you’re a researcher and you’re looking to share your work, check my post What’s an ORCID iD and Why You Should Consider Getting One